Wednesday, May 7, 2008

NEW ARRIVALS

NEW CHEESES

Gjetost - Norway - $8.50 Each - We got this cheese in via customer request. It is an interesting little cheese, 80% cow's milk, 10% goats's milk. Caramel-esque and deliciously sweet.

Asiago Pressato - Italy - $16.50 / LB - Pressato is the D.O.P name for this young Asiago produced in the Po Valley near Treviso, in the Veneto region of Northern Italy. The texture is firm and supple followed by a lingering sweetness.

Widmers's 6-Year Old Cheddar - Wisconsin - $23.00 / LB We actually had this one in earlier this year, but we finally got it again. Aged 6 years this cheddar is SHARP SHARP SHARP, complex, nutty, crumbly and did I mention sharp?

NEW NOT-CHEESE

Dried Mango - $8.00 / HALF LB - We're now selling dried Mango out of the deli case - we'll be adding additional dried fruits very soon! If you love goat cheese, you will be in HEAVEN when you try it "schmeered" on a hunk of dried mango. I have it priced at the HALF pound - mainly because a pound is a heck of a lot of mango!

LIBATIONS

Leyris Maziere LiAiguier, Sauvignon Blanc Blend from the Languedoc region, France - $23.00 This is the white ORGANIC cousin to that big, bold, organic red you big, bold red lovers (me included) are dreaming about. Well rounded as you come to expect from a Languedoc wine, it's fruity, dry, diverse and oh - so lovable.

Trivento, Torrontes from Mendoza Argentina $12.00 - I am drinking this wine as I am writing this blog (this is my job - I love my job!) My first reaction when I took my first sip was - WHOA! It reminds me of my beloved Vigonier. Floral on the nose, bright, fruity with a dry and rather pleasantly tart finish. This wine is very pale - but don't let the flaxen, waif like exterior fool you, it packs a ton of flavour, trust me and try it. For 12 bucks - you'll be back for more!

Wine 101:
Torrontes is the grape. The Torrontes grape is cultivated in the Argentine provinces of Catamarca, La Rioja, Mendoza, Salta, San Juan and Rio Negro. The Torrontes wine made from this white grape is considered the best of its kind in the entire world. Torrontes is the most distinctive of all Argentine wines, including both white and red, because Argentina is the only country to produce it. It is considered a wholly Argentine variety.

Te Hira, Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough New Zealand $22.00 - I ask you, from where else would a tiny cheese shop get their Sauvignon Blanc if not New Zealand? (OK France see the Leyris above) Zing, zip, gooseberry and steel this is your above average, boutique NZ SB with a lively palate and a lingering finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment